Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Transatlanticism

Finally i've gotten to a place with working internet! It's been a week since I have been here, so I have lots to write...so i'll have to spare some details! I arrived at Charles DeGaulle a little after 8 and was greeted with pain du chocolat and Nick :)
We caught the train into Paris and locked up my ridiculously large suitcase in the Gare D'Nord and hit the town. We basically did a worldwind tour of Paris...hit the Louve, Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Sacre-Coure, and walked along the Seine until I was about ready to fall over. Oh, and it was Armistence Day, randomly, which meant that there was a parade of the Frence Armed Forces down the Chance de Lese (sp). Outfits were ridiculous, stolling down the street
conspicuous.

After 5 intense hours in Paris we caught the train back to Nick's humble abode in Rouen, France. And although i was a little skeptical about attending his "international students dorm party," it was a great time and i met some very interesting personalities...


Day two in France we went euro shopping at CarreFore, which was incredible! Heinekin 12-pack is literally about $6US, and is NOT considered a luxury item, as in Oxford. However, that is not all i learned. Europeans do not provide shopping bags, as it is wasteful...oh and milk is not refridgerated which is disgusting. We got back to his dorm and played a little futbol with some internationals, my favorite of which, happens to be the italian. That night we went to dinner in downtown Rouen, and then stopped by their favorite bar for 1 euro shots.

Day three Nick took me shopping in downtown Rouen where I experienced an anti-Sarkozy demonstration by some crazy french teenagers. I felt a little like I was in Beruit. We bought tickets to the party that night...little did i know what that entailed, but it was great fun.

The next day I travelled all day to arrive in Luxembourg around 8p.m....

"You can't escape the past in Paris, and yet what's so wonderful about it is that the past and present intermingle so intangibly that it doesn't seem to burden."-Allen Ginsberg "In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their language."-Mark Twain Currently Listening to: Living Life-Ben Kweller xoxo jessica

No comments: